Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Intuition

Intuition, I once read, is our subconscious ability to gather, sort, cut through the surface of reality and understand the world around us.  This has stuck with me over the years and each time I think of a decision I have made based on intuition, I think back to this definition.

Intuition is all of your accumulated knowledge and experience accessed by your subconscious, this information is always on hand and if you learn to listen to what your subconscious is saying it can be a valuable tool.  For me, intuition is something that subtly runs in the background, if I hear that little whisper in the back of my head I take a moment to listen.  It wasn't always so, I would ignore it or shove it back into my deepest subconscious.  I learned early on that that was not a good idea.  Every bad thing that has happened to me has been a product of me not listening, also that little whisper that I buried or shoved back would come screaming through in my dreams (not always a pleasant experience). Now, I listen to my intuition constantly, it is a part and parcel of my life experience (I'm not saying this is how everyone does it, it just works for me and you will have to find what works for you).

I have never been much of a traditional meditation-type, my hands have to be busy, but I have always been caught up in my head, even as a kid, so I usually use knitting or cooking or anything that keeps my hands busy, as time to listen.  I analyze my initial feelings about something, those initial feelings are my gut reaction to the situation at hand.  I ask myself questions like:

"Why was I so uncomfortable in that situation?  What bothered me about (Insert Name)?  Why did that house feel bad?"

And I wait for my deeper self to reply.  As I started doing this more often the easier the answers came, now it is automatic and kind of runs in the background of my conscious mind.  I learned to trust myself and my now-not-so-quiet whisper in my head.

So, the trick is to find that way that works for you to access your subconscious, start with traditional meditation and if you are like me and truly cannot stay still there is an excellent book out there called Meditation Secrets for Women by Camille Maurin and Lorin Roche, don't be mislead by the title, the exercises in there are useful for men too but it is not your traditional mediation book.

Learn to listen and trust yourself.

5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that!
    I like the questions you included. Sometimes I write intuition dialogues in my journal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think intuition is a vital part of life. It gives those who listen an edge.

    As for its source, I think intuition is unconscious observation, parsed and packaged and shuttled up to the conscious mind.

    Thanks for the interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personal relationships play bazaar can get in the workplace. Avoid the risk your satta king position.

    ReplyDelete