Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Quests

I am a firm believer in quests.  I have always had a vivid imagination and lived in my own head (almost too often).  I loved stories of brave quests, quests for treasure, quests for monsters, quests for knowledge.  I used to see everything I did as a quest, I was a brave knight-scholar, ready to adventure and find the answers to everything.  As I got older and reality (the reality that others have tried to push on to me) started to seep in, it depressed me to find that my quests for (insert goal) were slowly becoming unobtainable or even irrelevant.  It felt that there was little to discover any more.  The monsters had all been hunted, the forests explored, the deep dark had been lit up.  There were no more hero's quests.

I was limited in my thinking, I know.  During high school I realized that there were quests and hero(ine)s, there were people who faced life bravely.  There were people who questioned their world, questioned everything.  There were people who had to be brave everyday to battle illness, to battle poverty, to battle corruption.  Our battles are with different kinds of monsters that is all.

1 comment: